11.18.2004

my first posting - nicolas arrives!

first post dedicated to nicolas henri meier -- 3 weeks old now - came into the world on Nov.1 at 12:04am. I raced from our home to Beth Israel Deaconess in brookline, MA in 40 minutes driving as fast as possible (normal drive time 2hours). I figured if i got pulled over I had the best excuse for speeding in the world --my wife is having our baby -- :-)

When i got to the hospital i was gowned up and led to the delivery room and martha was already there. I could see they had started already - but i didn't take any pictures of my wife's internal organs. I snapped pictures of her and she started laughing at me - and then worried that her laughing would make the doctors slip up or something.

Nicolas arrived shortly -- with a little crying that was the best sound I've ever heard.

He's been in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit ever since then. First with alot of help breathing and then not so much. Then with a heart murmur and then that was fixed. Now with an infection but doing ok for a tiny little boy. He is now 2lbs and 4 ounces and still hates being changed. He has apnea and sometimes forgets to breathe - which is nervewracking - last night the alarm went off and i patted his back to start him up again. I plan on telling him this the first time he gives me attitude. :-)

Martha and I are pretty tired -- we go up to Boston each night to see him for a few hours. Martha's mom arrived the day after he was born and has been a huge help to us. I will be happy when we finally get to bring him home.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see that you finally got your blog working. No graphic photos please of Martha's intestines. Remember to tell Nicolas to "Pump it Up" today. Now get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete